38 houses near creek demolished

By Norman V. Mendoza September 12,2017

At least 38 structures within the three-meter easement of Mantuyong creek at Sitio Sapa-Sapa Barangay Ibabao-Estancia in Mandaue City were demolished on Tuesday after residents disregarded the notices to vacate their homes.

The Housing and Urban Development Office (HUDO) of Mandaue City identified 163 structures in the area encroaching the three-meter easement of the creek and most have vacated the area since last year.

Some availed of the financial assistance. All residents were offered an area in the relocation site in Barangay Paknaan but some preferred to receive the financial assistance.

HUDO said the demolished 38 structures were owned by families who availed of the financial assistance, but still disregarded notices to vacate.

Financial problems, transportation of housing materials, distance from school and workplaces and the proximity to the Butuanon River are few of the reasons raised by residents as to why they opted to stay in Sitio Sapa-Sapa.

HUDO officer Tony Pet Juanico said the road concretization and riprapping of the Butuanon River were assigned to the Department of Public Works and Highways. “I don’t know why DPWH stopped the road concreting and the riprapping of the Butuanon river and maybe we can ask Congressman Jonas Cortes if the project still have funds,” Juanico said.

Juanico said a number of houses were already built in the relocation site and electrical and water connections were installed.

The occupants offered no resistance as their homes were demolished.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.