Village execs told: Explain garbage dumping at fish port

SHARES:

10:17 PM October 11th, 2017

Recommended
By: USJ-R Intern Rosalie Abatayo, October 11th, 2017 10:17 PM

OFFICIALS of Barangay Suba in Cebu City were given 10 days to answer allegations of garbage dumping at the Cebu City fish port.

This came after a city resident posted a photo on the Facebook page of the Cebu City Environment and Natural Resources Office (CCENRO) showing a barangay garbage truck dumping garbage in front of the fish port.

“We knew that it’s coming from a barangay since it was clear. There was a truck dumping garbage with a plate number,” said CCENRO chief Maria Nida Cabrera.

Cabrera wrote Suba Barangay Chairman Joel Sable last Tuesday, and furnished copies to the Ombudsman, Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) and City Hall’s Department of Public Services (DPS).

Sable denied that he ordered the dumping of his barangay’s waste at the fish port and said the garbage didn’t come from Suba. He said the truck shown in the photo wasn’t dumping garbage but charred materials.

“The charred materials came from the houses that were destroyed by fire. After we cleaned up, the DPS told us to dump it at the fish port since they said they will collect it,” Sable said.

Barangay Councilman Gerry Tagsip alleged that the staff of the Barangay Mayor’s Office (BMO) encouraged residents to dump their garbage at the fish port.

Tagsip said residents of neighboring Barangays Pasil and Sawang Calero had been dumping their garbage at the fish port after the BMO said the DPS will collect the garbage there.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.