President Rodrigo Duterte made a fresh call to the communist rebels to surrender as he vowed to “continuously” talk to them even though the fifth round of talks collapsed.
Duterte issued the statement at a press briefing in Davao City after his arrival from a two-day official visit to Japan Tuesday night.
He even assured the rebels that the government was ready to give them houses and jobs.
“Look, I am addressing myself to all the soldiers of the New People’s Army. Mag-surrender na lang kayo ngayon at ibaba ninyo ang inyong baril o i-surrender ninyo,” he said.
“At sabi ko, may trabaho kayo naghihintay. At I am building, all throughout the country, almost 5,000 sa National Housing Authority,” he added.
Sought for comment on the localized peace talks initiated by Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, the President said he was supportive of the move of his daughter.
“Yes. Kung mag-surrender kayo lahat, wala naman talaga mangyari,” he said.
Duterte had previously said he would no longer push through with the peace talks with the communist rebels, saying it’s “a waste of people’s money.”