Bridge contractor told: Don’t cut down mangroves
NO mangrove trees will be cut to pave the way for the construction of the third bridge or the Cebu-Cordova Link Expressway (CCLEX) that will connect Cebu City to Cordova town.
Eduardo Inting, Asst. Regional Director for Technical Services of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), said the bridge was redesigned to avoid cutting down the mangrove trees especially at the Cordova town side.
He said they’ve been meeting with the contractor along with Cebu City Hall and the Cordova municipal government for updates on the project.
“So far, they’ve been compliant with all the permits, especially on environmental concerns. The contractor also redesigned the bridge design so that no mangroves would be affected by the project,” Inting said.
Last November 23, the Cebu Cordova Link Expressway Corp. (CCLEC) issued the notice of award for the design and build contract of the 8.5-kilometer third bridge to Cebu Link Joint Venture (CLJV).
CLJV a joint venture of Spain-based Acciona Construccion S.A., and Philippine-based First Balfour Inc. and D.M. Consunji Inc.
The CCLEX is budgeted at P22.6 billion and construction is expected to start on the first quarter of next year.
Inting said the DENR-7 issued a special land use permit to the contractor, since the other end of the bridge will be built on timberland.
“Since this is a timberland, the department cannot issue patent,” he said.
But Inting said the contractor needs to pay fees every year and the permit should be converted into a Forest Land Agreement that would last for 25 years.
CCLEC will build, operate and maintain the toll bridge through a joint venture agreement with Cebu City and Cordova town.
CCLEX will have two lanes in each direction and will feature the main navigation span bridge, along with viaduct approach bridges, a causeway, roadway and toll facilities.
The bridge span allows for shipping traffic and the link is expected to serve at least 40,000 vehicles daily.
It will give Cordova direct access to Cebu City and is envisioned to decongest the traffic in the two bridges between Mactan and Cebu.
The project is expected to be completed in Dec. 31, 2020.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.