Local execs’ slays no link to destab plot

By Inquirer.net July 09,2018

Halili

Initial investigation conducted by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has not found any links between a destabilization plot and the death of three local executives in a span of one week.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the NBI has failed to establish interrelation between the murders of Tanauan City Mayor Antonio Halili; General Tinio, Nueva Ecija Mayor Ferdinand Bote; and Trece Martires City, Cavite Vice Mayor Alex Lubigan last week.

Guevarra said he tasked the NBI to look into the possibility that the killings are part of a destabilization plot against the government.

“So far (the) initial findings of the NBI show that the incidents seem to be unrelated,” Guevarra said in a text message sent to reporters.

Lubigan was the third local government official killed this month, after Halili and Bote. Both killings are still under investigation.

Halili, who was in the government’s narco-list, was shot dead while attending a flag-raising ceremony on July 2.

On July 3, Bote was killed in an ambush in Cabanatuan City.

The initial findings of the NBI appeared to support the findings in the separate probe of the Philippine National Police.

Police had said that Halili’s murder could be related to illegal drug trade while the killings of Bote and Lubigan are probably politically motivated.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.