City provides free ride for Maritima V-hire passengers
THE Cebu City Transportation Office has provided free rides for southbound passengers who want to take the vans-for-hire stationed at the Compania Maritima.
Two shuttle buses has been deployed starting Monday.
CCTO Operation head Joy Tumulak told reporters that this is upon the order of Cebu City Mayor Micheal Rama after receiving complaints from the drivers that most passengers do not know the location of the temporary terminal.
“Each shuttle bus has its own designated route for the convenience of the passengers,” said Tumulak.
The first shuttle bus will pass along M.C. Briones St. from Compania Maritima then to D. Jakosalem St., to Magallanes St. then to Borromeo St., Colon St. then to Mabini St., Burgos St. and back to Compania Maritima.
The second bus will pass along M.J. Cuenco Ave. to Osmena Blvd. then to Fuente Rutonda and back to Maritima.
“The shuttle ride is free. Each shuttle can carry around 10-12 passengers. Gasoline expenses is covered by the CCTO budget,” said Tumulak
He added that deploying shuttles is part of their public service.
Several drivers are happy of the development because they will no longer wait for hours for their V-hires to be fully occupied.
They said before the free shuttle service, they have to wait for two to four hours, but now they only have to wait for an hour.
The V-hires stationed at the Compania Maritima are those affected by the closure of the One Citilink Terminal for allegedly operating without a permit and for failure to pay taxes to the city.
Last week, the terminal opened again after its management was granted a temporary restraining order.
However, some drivers were hesitant to go back to the terminal.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.