TWO houses were gutted while one got damaged by a fire that hit sitio Salvador in barangay Tangke, Talisay City yesterday afternoon.
Talisay City Fire Inspector Marcelino Aguilar said the fire started in the two-story home of Evangeline and Antonio Tangub, both in their 60s. Their children and their families also live in the house with them.
Based on the account of Tangubs’ daughter-in-law Ruby, the fire started in their room on the second floor.
“I remember turning off and unplugging our ceiling fan before leaving to watch TV in our neighbor’s house. After a few minutes, I noticed that the fire had broken out,” Ruby told Cebu Daily News in Cebuano.
Her in laws were left in the house that time, but were immediately evacuated by neighbors.
They were not injured but were rushed to the hospital as a precaution. One house, owned by a certain Matthew Layese, was destroyed while the house owned by the Tangubs and another by Bartolome Boc got damaged.
Aguilar said they are looking into electrical malfunction as the cause of the fire. The fire was put out at 3:30 p.m.
Aguilar pegged the damages at P60,000. He said they had a hard time reaching the fire site due to narrow roads.
“This isn’t a new issue. There’s double parking. There are trisikads that make access very difficult,” Aguilar said.
Talisay City Councilor Danilo Caballero said the affected families may be brought to the city hall area in the meantime.