Tudela gov’t chides DPWH on road project delays

By: Victor Anthony V. Silva January 11,2016 - 11:23 PM

THE Tudela municipal government in Camotes Islands, Cebu criticized the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for delaying the implementation of a P40-million road project in their town.

In a resolution last Dec. 16, 2015 endorsed by Tudela Mayor Erwin Yu, the council asked the DPWH Cebu 5th engineering district to investigate the delays in the road concreting project.

The project, funded by the Department of Tourism (DOT), aims to improve 2.3 kilometers of the Tudela-Poro-San Francisco road leading to Boho Rock in Poro and beaches in San Francisco.

The council resolution stated that some town residents noted that the project was reported and published on the DPWH website as 100 percent complete as of Sept. 9, 2015.

But the council insisted that as of December last year, work on the project has not started yet.

The project billboard detailing the start date of the project and its completion had not yet been installed on the site along the provincial road in Tudela.

A check by Cebu Daily News on the DPWH website showed that the project was supposed to start on March 3, 2015 and completed on Sept. 9, 2015.

The project contractor is Ven Ray Construction Corp.

Yosoph Rasuman, acting district engineer of the DPWH Cebu 5th district engineering office, clarified that the project is composed of four sections with the road in Poro and San Francisco already completed.

“Actually, it is ongoing. Work on the Tudela section had just been delayed because of several suspensions last year,” he said in a phone interview yesterday.

Rasuman said 100 meters have been concreted along Tudela and that the whole project is already 80 percent complete.

He admitted that when the Tudela municipal council passed the resolution asking for an investigation on the project in December last year, they have not yet reached the site in the area.

Rasuman said “rain and road obstructions” in 2015 caused delays in the project.

He said the DPWH website reported the completion status of the project “as planned” and not based on actual implementation.

Rasuman said his office was unable to file reports on project delays. This was the reason the website reported the project to be 100 percent complete, he said. “This is not a ghost project,” he said.

Mayor Yu said the DPWH only started working on the site one day after the resolution was passed.

“I didn’t complain further because they started working on it immediately,” he said.

The mayor attested that work on the section in his town has already started in barangay Calmante.

Yu said the P40-million concreting project is part of a P167-million undertaking initiated by 5th District Rep. Ace Durano and the Department of Tourism (DOT) to improve roads in Camotes Islands.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Camotes Island, Cebu, Department of Public Works and Highways, Department of Tourism, DPWH, Tudela

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.