Local bets kick off campaign
RALLIES, motorcades and torch parades will be the highlight of campaign activities as local candidates and their parties kick off their opening salvos tomorrow.
“We will go on with our campaign even without a presidential candidate,” said Winston Garcia, One Cebu chairperson and gubernatorial bet. One Cebu broke its alliance with the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) of Vice President Jejomar Binay.
Garcia said One Cebu still hasn’t decided whether to declare a free zone in Cebu for presidential bets or endorse either Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte or Senator Grace Poe.
But some of its members have already publicly declared support for Duterte.
Consolacion Councilor Ember Alinsug, on his Facebook profile, asked his followers to reelect him and to vote Duterte for president.
“Panahon na nga atong wagtangon ang mga problema sa atong lungsod – drugs, crime, corruption, pollution, ug daghan pa… kini tanan dugay nato masulbad kung dili pod nato botaran ang usa ka Presidente nga aduna na’y track record sa pagsugpo aning mga bati nga mga elemento sa atong nasud, ayaw intawn ninyo kalimti si Digong Duterte pagka Presidente,” he said in a post yesterday.
(It is time to put an end to this town’s problems – drugs, crime, corruption, pollution and many more. All of this will not be solved if we don’t vote for a President with a track record in fighting these bad elements. Don’t forget to vote Digong Duterte for President.)
Garcia said that Alinsug’s post was his own decision and not representative of the whole party’s.
He earlier said One Cebu will not decide on anything without the consensus of party leaders.
But other allies have also expressed their inclination to support Duterte following One Cebu’s breakup with UNA, including Asturias Mayor Allan Adlawan and Medellin Mayor Ricardo Ramirez.
Meanwhile, the opening salvo of the administration-backed Liberal Party (LP) in the province starts with a Mass on Monday, March 28, at the St. Michael the Archangel Parish in Argao, southern Cebu.
Gov. Hilario Davide III and Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale are both seeking reelection under the LP.
“Tentatively, they will have a grand caravan which will kick off after the Mass,” said Assistant Provincial Administrator Ramil Abing in a text message.
The Mass will be attended by all LP mayoral candidates in the 2nd district. The caravan will be from Argao town to Dumanjug, a known bailiwick of the Garcias.
On March 29, Tuesday, the LP will hold a caravan from Barili to Daanbatayan in northern Cebu and on the third day, from Bogo City to Liloan town. Abing said there will be “big” rallies in the evening to be attended by LP candidates running for national positions, although so far, only senatorial bet Mark Lapid has confirmed his attendance.
ONE CEBU SALVO
One Cebu’s slate in Borbon, northern Cebu, led by Vice Mayor Noel Dotillos as mayoral bet, will hold a motorcade at 2 p.m. leading to an opening salvo at the covered court of Barangay Campusong.
Garcia said they have many activities lined up on the same day, and he couldn’t possibly attend each one.
On March 28, Monday, there will be an opening salvo in Toledo city and a simultaneous caravan in Consolacion at 8 a.m. which will be followed by a rally at City Mall in the same town.
There will be a torch parade in Cordova town at 6 p.m. on the same day to be followed by a rally at the Cordova Sports Complex.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.