Capitol says project funds released prior to campaign period
THE Provincial Treasurer’s Office said the funds for the “Gasa sa Barangay” beautification project were released before the March 26 start of the local campaign period.
Provincial Treasurer Emmanuel Guial said the funds which were released from March 16 to 21 came from the 20 percent development fund of the governor’s office.
The opposition One Cebu party earlier said they will file a complaint against Guial and Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III for the selective release of P40 million for the project to towns in Cebu’s third district.
One Cebu said most of the funds were released to towns allied with the Liberal Party (LP) Cebu chapter which Davide denied.
Cebu Provincial Budget officer Danny Rodas said the beneficiaries of the project were the barangays that submitted their resolution requests starting January of this year.
Provincial information officer Ethel Natera said the project is a cash-for-work initiative of the provincial government for its barangay beneficiaries.
About P520 million had been set aside for the governor’s development fund.
Each of the barangay beneficiary whose request had been completely processed before the start of the local campaign period and election prohibition, received a cash assistance of P1 million each.
Davide earlier refuted claims by One Cebu that only P250,000 were released to some towns with the rest of the amount refunded to the provincial government’s coffers.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.