outbrain

NO MORE VARSITY

By: Glendale G. Rosal April 28,2016 - 10:33 PM

In a move that took practically everyone by surprise, the University of San Carlos-Basic Education (USC-BED) has phased out of its all elementary varsity teams and four secondary squads.

This decision could have dire consequences in USC-BED’s current standing as Cebu’s premier sports powerhouse.

A statement released by Fr. Isagani Ehido, USC-BED VP for Administration and Finance and Fr. Dionisio Miranda, USC President cited the K-12 program, budget constraints, facilities, equipment and rentals as reasons behind the disbandment.

The school’s decision though, did not sit well with the parents of the affected teams especially its multi-titled chess squad.

Lezlie Morala, the mother of Keith Claire “KC” Morala told CDN that the decision was very sudden and inconsiderate especially since the school’s chess teams dominated last year’s National Finals of the Milo Little Olympics in Laguna.

Also, USC-BED chess team head coach FIDE Arbiter Felix Poloyapoy bared that the coaching staff of the disbanded varsity teams were also terminated effective March 31.

“I don’t know where to go because they just took my job away from me. They did it without warning,” said Poloyapoy.

According to the USC-BED statement, the disbanded teams can still join special sports clubs to continue developing their skills and can still join tournaments but without any scholarship support from the school.

“It’s a big loss for the school because they know that chess is one of their most decorated teams. We know that some of their reasons are valid but we are still very disappointed,” Morala said. “My child and myself are saddened by their decision because aside from being athlete, my child is also a scholar of the school.”

DISBANDED SQUADS

The disbanded secondary squads include badminton, chess, scrabble and gymnastics. Worse, those which were retained will have to trim down their players as the school will only participate in school, government or DepEd sanctioned meets.

The USC administration also cancelled its athletics scholarships.

“Beginning this school year, and for the five years of the K-12 transition period, all colleges and universities in the country will have zero or very little enrollment. In fact, the job losses will be substantial, and they can only be partially mitigated by government efforts. In short, USC tertiary can no longer subsidize not only athletic but also other low priority scholarships. In the future the trend will be for athletic scholarships to be funded by industry, sports associations and alumni rather than by schools,” a USC statement said adding “Unfortunately we now have to terminate those privileges for reasons given above. For those of you who believe that their children, apart from passing interest, do have a potential career in sports, we recommend, that you look for a school which offers a viable sports track. Regrettably our enrollment for the same track did not reach a viable number.”
Morala said they have already appealed the decision.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.