Tom O. told : Reconsider, be chairman instead

By: Nestle L. Semilla July 19,2016 - 11:05 PM
Gov. Hilario Davide III tackles issues during a meeting with Cebu provincial government officials and officials of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office. (CDN PHOTO/LITO TECSON)

Gov. Hilario Davide III tackles issues during a meeting with Cebu provincial government officials and officials of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office. (CDN PHOTO/LITO TECSON)

Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III wants Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña to reconsider his decision to stop the city government’s participation on Mega Cebu and to consider being the chairman of the group instead.

“But of course, I respect Mayor Tommy’s decision to back out. Probably he saw something, some dynamics that don’t go according to his plans and visions. But in fairness to Mega Cebu, for two years, they have accomplishments to boast,” said Davide, who is chairman of Metro Cebu Development and Coordinating Board (MCDCB), which is the group who founded Mega Cebu.

Davide’s reaction came after Osmeña announced last week in a press briefing that the Cebu City government would not participate in any discussions of Mega Cebu and questioned the legal capacity of MCDCB.

“With 14 municipalities and cities, we tried to have our proposals approved through Mega Cebu – including Cebu City. In fact, Cebu City is the key of Cebu province. It cannot be denied since it’s the capital,” he Davide.

Davide said he would suggest that Osmeña be the chairman of Mega Cebu because the mayor had insights and plans on creating a better Cebu.

“It would be better if Mayor Tommy is willing to be the chairman. I know him and he has the plans, he has a lot of ideas. He is a visionary,” said Davide.

Davide, however, said that he has yet to meet with Osmeña and discuss the matter with him.

The MCDCB has the Cebu governor as its chairman with a representative of the Cebu City government as its co-chairman.

“Probably he discovered something that we have no knowledge of. Or maybe he was not made aware of the accomplishments of Mega Cebu. That’s why, for me, I am planning to talk this one with him and we’ll see. Let’s listen to Mayor Tommy’s concerns and inputs because he may have further valid reasons why he wanted out of Mega Cebu,” he said.

Davide also clarified that Mega Cebu, with its implementer MCDCB, is just a facilitating body which aimed to help local government units on their development plans.

“I think Mayor Tommy is just questioning Mega Cebu’s legality,” he said.

Despite receiving an approval from the House committee to create the Mega Cebu Development Authority, it was too late for House Bill 6227 for Congress to pass it into law.

But with Mayor Osmeña’s pull out of the Cebu City government from Mega Cebu, the Cebu City Council which is mostly made up of members of Team Rama party, passed a resolution authorizing Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella to represent the City Council in the MCDCB instead.

Councilor Raymund Alvin Garcia said that the MCDCB is important especially on coordination, cooperation, and collaboration of neighboring cities and municipalities especially on flood and drainage problems.

“Perhaps the Mayor has other reasons for pulling out from Mega Cebu discussions. I will not question his wisdom. As mayor, he has the right to do as he pleases for as long as it is within the bounds of law. That is his prerogative,” Garcia said.

However, Garcia added that if the city will not attend such discussions, he fears that the city will be left out on important discussions and plans outlined for Metro Cebu. /UP Cebu Intern Morexette Marie Erram

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.