Centcom: No proof of ISIS presence in Central Visayas

By: Benjie Talisic March 06,2018 - 11:52 PM

THE military’s Central Command said yesterday that it had not monitored any presence of the extremist group Isis operating in Central Visayas.
Centcom Spokesman Col. Medel Aguilar said in a phone interview that while they don’t want to be complacent, the possibility of Isis members posing as fishermen anywhere in Region 7 is remote at best.

Medel said if there were any Isis members they would be found in areas with a large number of people where they can inflict maximum damage.

He also said the Filipinos have become vigilant in monitoring terrorists after last year’s sneak entry by Abu Sayaff bandits in Bohol province.

“We also verify if these reports are true. If the police memorandum that went online mentioned the presence of Isis members, it’s only as part of their being proactive and it doesn’t mean that it is true,” Medel said.

Medel referred to a PNP memorandum that surfaced and circulated online which instructed regional and city directors in northern Mindanao to verify a text message claiming the presence of Isis bombers in the area.

Medel called on the public not to circulate unverified information online lest it cause panic.

Chief Supt. Robert Quenery, Police Regional Office (PRO-7) chief, echoed Medel’s sentiments, saying they will verify the reports.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

[forminator_form id="457879"]
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Centcom, Central Visayas, ISIS, No proof, presence
[forminator_form id="457880"]

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.