cdn mobile

4 guests fall ill after using swimming pool

By: Edison Delos Angeles December 28,2014 - 09:02 AM

Chlorine poisoning suspected; resort in barangay Tisa  temporarily closed

A Christmas Day get-together of friends  turned tragic for three men and a child after  swimming in the pool of a private resort in barangay Tisa, Cebu CIty.

They fell ill immediately  after and were brought to the hospital after  complaining of persistent vomiting and breathing difficulty, symptoms of chlorine poisoning.

Chlorine is a  chemical used as a cleaning agent and disinfectant in water, but an excessive amount will cause poisoning.

Tisa barangay captain Philip Zafra ordered  Ring Resthouse owner Helen Tapales to temporarily suspend operations  until water samples can be tested by the  City Health Department.

The owner also took care of the victims’ hospital bills.

“Three of the victims had it worse because they accidentally drank the pool water. The fourth just inhaled the chemical,”  Zafra said in Cebuano.

He said the suspected cause was chlorine poisoning, whose symptoms  include stomach pain, vomitting, blood in the stool and difficulty breathing.

The three adult victims, Jo Ann Gonzales, 21; Stephen Loresto, 19; Carl Dhave Fernandez, 18 are from  Tisa while 6-year-old Queenne Elesabeth Epe is from barangay Quiot Pardo.

Two were discharged from  Cebu Doctors University Hospital (CDUH) later in the evening of Dec. 25.

Two others were  scheduled for discharge yesterday.

The four were part of  a group of friends who went to the  resort in sitio Chicosan Lower Hills in barangay Tisa for night swimming.

Zafra said the four were brought to the Tisa barangay hall about 7 p.m.  of Christmas Day seeking assistance.  A resort representative accompanied them.

“They could still walk but they complained of difficulty breathing. And they kept vomiting,” he said.

Three ambulances were sent there by the City Command Center since the barangay has only one ambulance.

Zafra said the owner related that that the staff would pour  chlorine into the swimming pool to clean the water after they close at 10 p.m.

But she was not certain of the quantity administered the night before on  Dec. 24.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Christmas, poisoning, Tisa

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.