Cebu City logs only 7 new COVID-19 cases on Oct 18

By: Delta Dyrecka Letigio - CDN Digital Multi-Media Reporter | October 19,2021 - 05:16 PM

A Filipino woman gets tested for coronavirus. FILE PHOTO

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City has logged its lowest number of new cases on October 18, 2021, at seven cases, since the third surge in August 2021.

Councilor Joel Garganera, the deputy chief implementor of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) said that the tested individuals were also relatively low at only 400, which is why the new cases are at an all-time low also.

“This is a very good sign, but moremind lang ko nga complacency is our biggest enemy. Daghan baya kaayo tag kalihokan these days, Kalag-Kalag, Pasko, nya naa pay political activities,” said Garganera.

The death toll has remained low with only 21 deaths for October, a far cry from the deaths in August and September 2021 that reached 200 and over.

The hospital occupancy rate for COVID-19 dedicated bed is also at 30 percent only.

The councilor hopes that with the improved situation in the city, the quarantine status or alert status will be reduced to Alert Level 1 by November 2021.

The EOC is already mulling the reopening of cinemas, the opening of more establishments, and even allowing fully vaccinated travellers to enter the city without the need for a real time polymerase chain reaction (rtPCR) test or antigen tests.

Should the alert level status further reduces, Garganera said there is a huge possibility that entry to Cebu City ports will ease as well for vaccinated individuals.

The city government is also preparing for the reopening of the Cebu City Sports Center (CCSC) but this may take time as the facility is still being used.

The EOC also praised the establishments serving alcoholic beverages for their strict compliance with the protocols.

So far, no establishment has been issued a show-cause order yet.

“Grabe gyod ka complaint atong establishments and we are very grateful for that,” he said.

The active cases in the city based in the EOC records is at 344.      /rcg

RELATED STORIES:

EOC urges public to continue following health protocols even after vaccination

EOC: No more waiting lines in most hospitals

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Alert Level 1, alert level 2, antigen test, Cebu City, Cebu City ports, Cebu travel, Councilor Joel Garganera, COVID-19, Emergency Operations Center, EOC, new cases, rtPCR test

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.