CEBU CITY, Philippines – Recent heavy rainfall has caused flooding in some areas in Cebu City and Mandaue City in the past two days.
On Monday, September 11, heavy rainfall in the afternoon caused flooding in some areas in Mandaue City, including along Lopez Jaena Street in Barangay Tipolo, Cabancalan, Pagsabungan, and Ibabao-Estancia.
The flooding has not only caused problems for commuters, it also lead to the tragic death of a five year-old girl, who fell into a canal and was swept away by floodwaters in Barangay Jagobiao, Mandaue City.
With the many dangers that floods impose, it is very important to take great caution in order to ensure that everyone is safe.
Whether you are outdoors or staying inside your own homes, it is vital that you are aware of the dos and don’ts to keep yourself and the people around you safe from any danger due to floods.
Here are some flood safety tips from the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7):
- 1. Identify flood risks and what to do when the situation arises. The steps in completing these are:
– Find out what areas near you are prone to flooding and/or landslide.
– Familiarize yourself with the warning signals, evacuation routes, and emergency shelter locations within your community.
– Study and memorize routes for flood evacuation in your area.
- 2. Always make sure to unplug your appliances in order to prevent electrical shock when the power comes back on after an outage.
- 3. Strictly refrain from driving or walking across roads that are flooded as cars and even people can be swept away in these situations.
- 4. Stock up on emergency food and supplies and tune in to local radio or television for updates on the flood situations.
- 5. Do not forget to turn off gas, power, and water before leaving the house to evacuate, especially when the power lines are down.
- 6. In order to avoid disasters, do not let your young children play in flood waters. Make sure that they are in dry and safe spaces.
- 7. As much as possible, avoid being exposed to flood waters to be safe from possible waterborne infectious diseases.
- 8. If you do not have access to clean water, drink boiled water or packed drinking water.
- 9. If you are exposed to waters in floods, make sure to wash your feet as soon as possible to avoid any possible sickness.
- With the unpredictable weather, it is better to be prepared in case of dangerous situations such as flooding. Safety must always be the priority for everyone to be able to go home safe and sound.
So make sure to take note and follow these safety tips to keep you and your family safe from the dangers of floods.
Source: Police Regional Office 7 FB