Manila-based firm gets contract for CCMC project
Manila-based contractor CE Padilla was officially given a notice of award by the Cebu City Government to undertake the P600-million Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) project.
The notice of award was signed by Mayor Michael Rama yesterday after the special Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) for CCMC declared the contractor as the lowest calculated responsive bid in a meeting last Wednesday.
“You are therefore required within ten days from the receipt of this Notice of Award, to formally enter into contract with us, and to submit the Performance Security in the form and amount stipulated in the instructions to Bidders,” read the notice.
CE Padilla gave the lowest bid of P514.97 million for the project during the opening of bids last June 18.
Among the special requirements set by the BAC for the project was the completion of a similar hospital project within the last five years.
Based on the resolution of the BAC’s Technical Working Group (TWG), which unanimously recommended to award the project to CE Padilla, the contractor finished the P401.2 million National Kidney and Transplant Institute project in Quezon City Metro Manila in January 4, 2011.
Last June 22 to 24, the BAC’s TWG went to the contractor’s office in Manila to verify, authenticate and validate the documents they submitted as part of the post-qualification process.
The TWG said CE Padilla passed and complied with all the necessary requirements under the Government Procurement Reform Act as well as the special requirements by the city.
The TWG is headed by lawyer Ferdinand Canete as chairperson. Its members include Engr. Joel Reston, Engr. Joseph Abellar, lawyer Mark Rossel Salomon and Dr. Anton Oliver Reposar II.
With the awarding of the project, the city government has also scheduled a groundbreaking ceremony for the new CCMC on Saturday morning.
City administrator Dr. Lucelle Mercado said the groundbreaking will mark the start of the construction of the new 10-story hospital estimated to cost around P1.6 billion.
This would also mean that the city no longer needs to renew its Permit to Construct issued by the Department of Health (DOH) last year which will expire on July 25.
City Engineer Jose Marie Poblete, who also heads the special BAC for CCMC, said they expect actual civil works to start within the month.
“The P600 million first phase covers the foundation, structural frames and ten floors of the building,” he said.
After the first phase, Poblete said the contractor will work on the fixtures and finishing touches of the hospital which also costs a lot.
He added that the contract for the project will not have to be returned to the city council for approval since the budget for it is specific for the CCMC construction.
The contractor is given around one year and nine months to complete the first phase of the project.
“With the capability of the contractor, I won’t be surprised that they can even finish earlier,” he added.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.