Truck ban for roads near IEC
A truck ban will be enforced during peak hours in roads near the main venue of the International Eucharistic Congress on Jan. 24 to 31.
The focus of proceedings will be the Pavilion at the back of the San Carlos Seminary compound.
The Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) said trucks and heavy equipment will not be allowed from 5-9 a.m. and 2-7 p.m. in F. Cabahug St., Gorordo Ave., Gen. Maxilom Ave., Fuente
Rotunda, Osmeña Blvd., Gov. Cuenco Ave., M. Logarta St., Kaoshiung St. and Cardinal Rosales Ave.
Aluminum vans, heavy equipment vehicles and trailer trucks will also not be allowed to pass through the South Road Properties on January 24 (Sunday), 29 (Friday) and 30 (Saturday)
Police will be on heightened alert and security will be tightened in all event venues.
Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, regional directorate chief of staff of the Police Regional Office (PRO-7), said measures are in place to deal with problems like brownouts, stampedes and terror threats.
Delegates staying in the IEC Pavilion can expect to undergo screening while their vehicles to and from the venues will be inspected.
“The IEC pavilion is one of the major venues of the event where every morning, mass, preachings and testimonies are likely to be held before proceeding to other venues in the afternoon,” Lawas said after inspecting the Pavilion yesterday.
Security arrangements are similar to what was enforced during last year’s Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings.
Police in uniform and plainclothes will patrol the event venues in tandem with soldiers.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.