Dance to a new Sinulog beat
When dancers from local universities take to the streets for the launching parade of Sinulog 2016 tomorrow in Cebu City, they will be introducing a new beat.
It goes with a new Sinulog song titled “Celebrate Cebu”. This is in line with the new brand “Cebu, where the heart sings” which was launched in November by the local business community, government and other stakeholders and has at its dominant image a female Sinulog dancer holding aloft a heart.
“The beat is very danceable. It has both hiphop and island beats which is very welcoming for visitors of Cebu,” said Ricky Ballesteros, executive director of the Sinulog Foundation Inc.
The parade will start at the Basilica del Sto. Niño at 3 p.m. tomorrow and pass Fuente Osmeña, Osmena Boulevard and end up at the Cebu City Sports Center.
“Sinulog dancers and performers in different international traditional costumes will dance in unison to the beat of the song “I love Cebu” and “Celebrate Cebu”, he said.
The foundation has a budget of P30 million this year, higher by P5 million compared to last year’s, and is seeking P3 million financial assistance from the Cebu provincial government, double the P1.5 million received from the Capitol last year.
The foundation did not receive any assistance from the Capitol in 2013 and 2014, hence the bigger amounts now.
“That was the transition period (to a new administration), but we were promised P500,000 for 2013 and P1 million for 2014. We have been accredited as a CSO (civil society organization),” Ballesteros said.
Provincial budget officer Danilo Rodas said the P1.5-million assistance last year already covered the assistance for 2013 and 2014.
As of last night, Rodas said Gov. Hilario Davide III has not advised him on the amount that will be released to the foundation.
The foundation will be hiring marshalls this year, instead of relying on volunteers and students for crowd control. The police will also be asked to help, especially at the entrance to the Cebu City Sports Center.
“We will now pay them. Before, the volunteers and students cannot sustain to do it from the morning until the evening,” he said.
The road in front of Cebu Normal University (CNU) will be blocked for the props of the parade contingents.
At City Hall, acting Mayor Edgardo Labella said he instructed City Engineer Jose Marie Poblete to bundle the dangling wires along the Sinulog Grand Parade route starting Friday.
The parade will pass through the New Imus Road, M.J. Cuenco Ave., Gen. Maxilom Ave., Fuente Osmeña, and Osmeña Blvd. Toward the Cebu City Sports Center.
Labella said an ad hoc carousel team will be created to maintain peace and order as well as ensure the smooth flow of the parade. It will be headed by Councilor Dave Tumulak.
Eleven small buses will be stationed along the route to serve as temporary holding centers for troublemakers. Each bus will be manned by at least one policeman.
“Those who are drunk and are caught misbehaving will be detained there. They will be released only when they are sober,” Labella said.
Just like last year, no sexy dancers or women in revealing outfits will be allowed on the floats.
Governor Davide said political campaigning will be prohibited in all Sinulog activities.
Meanwhile, Ballesteros said the judges for the Sinulog Festival Queen competition will come from South Korea, London, Brazil, New York, and San Francisco. Most of the international judges have agreed to spend for their air fare.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.