Palma to help family of man slain at Archbishop’s residence
CEBU Archbishop Jose Palma will provide assistance to the family of the man who was gunned down inside the Archbishop’s Residence compound in Cebu City last Tuesday.
Msgr. Joseph Tan, media liaison officer of the Archdiocese of Cebu, said the 68-year-old prelate talked to the father of Jefrey Cañedo over the phone on Tuesday and promised to help the family.
“Archbishop Palma will offer assistance of whatever kind to the family, and signified to visit the wake of Cañedo as a paternal gesture and to show his sympathy,” he said.
No specific details were given as to the kind of assistance the Archbishop will offer.
The prelate was in Manila last week to attend the 117th plenary assembly of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), then proceeded to Koronadal City, South Cotabato to attend the episcopal ordination and installation of Bishop-elect Cerilo Casicas of Marbel. Palma is expected to arrive in Cebu on Friday.
Tan said the archdiocese did not consider the shooting incident at the Archbishop’s Residence compound last Tuesday as an attack against the Catholic Church.
“We don’t see this as an attack on the Church but rather a mental health issue that should be addressed. Depression is a real sickness that affects several people. It should be treated immediately,” he said.
Tan said the public shouldn’t be quick to pass judgement on Cañedo and his family.
“We cannot condemn the man because he no longer had the capacity to control himself. He was overcome by the series of events brought about by his depression,” he said.
“Let’s not judge him. He deserves our prayers, compassion and kindness and the archdiocese will extend help, as much as we can,” he added.
Last Tuesday, Cañedo, 41, was gunned down by operatives of the Mobile Patrol Group, inside the Archbishop’s Residence.
Cañedo, a former Overseas Filipino Worker, reportedly wanted to talk to Palma to get an advice about his troubled marriage.
While on his way out of the compound, Cañedo, who had a gun tucked on his waist, was met by policemen who were alerted by employees of the archdiocese.
Cañedo allegedly refused to talk to the police and instead decided to shoot it out with the operatives.
Tan said that they are coordinating with the family of Cañedo for the latter’s wake and burial.
Cebu Auxiliary Bishop Dennis Villarojo planned to visit the wake of Cañedo and say Mass for the eternal repose of the latter’s soul.
But Tan said Villarojo wants his visit to be solemn and private. / with reports from Nestle L. Semilla
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.