NBI seals coffins; urges kin not to hold wakes

By: Nestle L. Semilla September 29,2018 - 10:57 PM

NBI-7 Medicolegal officer, Dr. Rene Cam (center) lead the forensic team that examined the bodies retrieved from the landslide areas in Barangay Tinaan, Naga City. He advised families to immediately bury the landslide victims to avoid health issues.
CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA

NAGA LANDSLIDE VICTIMS

Families of victims of the landslide in Barangay Tinaan, Naga City should bury their loved ones as soon as the bodies are released to them.

Dr. Rene Cam, medico-legal officer of the National Bureau of Investigation regional office, immediate burial is necessary to avoid health issues.

The NBI conducted a forensic examination of the cadavers retrieved from the landslide, areas for possible identification, especially that it has been ten days since the deadly landslide occurred.

“Nadugta naman. Baho na kaayo, maong kinahanglan gyud nga ilubong siya dayon,” said Cam in an interview with Cebu Daily News.

(The cadavers are already decayed and reeking, the reason why these should be buried immediately.)

Cam has been conducting forensic examination to identify cadavers that are already beyond recognition since Tuesday last week.

He said that he asked Naga City, Cebu Mayor Kristine Vanessa Chiong to ask the families not to have a wake for their loved ones.

“Kasabot ko nga naay uban gusto pa makakita sa ilang pamilya ug boot una hayaon. Pero dili naman gud puwede na. kay lahi na ang baho,” said Cam.

(I understand that there are families who want to have a wake but that is no longer possible because of the smell.)

Cam said they sealed the coffins so the family will refrain from opening it.

Rosalio Agwanta said that as much as she wanted to see the body of her younger brother Jesus and the latter’s wife and daughter, they opted to heed the advise of the NBI-7.

“May nalang naila ug nauli ilahang lawas. Okay na mi,” said Agwanta.

(At least they have been identified and their bodies retrieved.)

Cam said that as of yesterday, they already identified 24 out of more than 40 bodies brought to the Cosmopolitan Funeral Homes since Tuesday through identification marks given by their families or relatives.

“Kaning among mga na identify complete bodies pa ni. The rest wala pa na identify, mga body parts sila,” said Cam.

(We have identified the bodies that are intact. We have not identified the rest, which are only body parts.)

He said DNA tests will be done on the remaining cadavers.

“Dili na ni pwede sa mga identification marks kay body parts na man gud. Posible ang isa ka parte ani the same ra sa laing nakit-ang tiil o ulo ba kaha,” said Cam.

(Identification marks are no longer applicable on these body parts.)

As of 2 p.m. yesterday, the death toll reached 72. Another 18 were injured and 11 are still missing.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: coffins, hold, kin, NBI, not, seals, urges, Wakes
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.