Drilon reiterates ‘no actual rebellion’ in Mindanao

By Inquirer.net |December 04,2018 - 09:29 PM

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Franklin Drilon on Tuesday reiterated that rebellion in Mindanao “no longer persists” as he rejected the plans to extend martial law in the region.

“I may sound like a broken record but for the nth time, I would repeat: there is no actual rebellion. Rebellion no longer persists in Mindanao,” Drilon said in a statement.

Drilon was reacting to reports that the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will recommend another martial law extension in Mindanao.

AFP chief of staff Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. previously revealed that other agencies such as Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC), local government units, and Commission on Elections have also recommended the extension in Mindanao.

He also cited terrorist incidents such as the Basilan blast, Sulu encounters, and bomb explosions in Central Mindanao as some of the basis for the recommendation.

However, Drilon said there are threats of rebellion but there is no presence of actual rebellion.

“There may be threats of rebellion, but what the Constitution clearly requires as a ground for declaring and extending martial law is the presence of actual rebellion,” he said.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.