Cases readied against gunman behind Wee’s killing
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Charges are now being readied against six suspects, including the gunman, behind the killing of Lawyer Joey Luis Wee.
The gunman identified as Fausto Edgar Benigno Peralta was formally turned over to the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation in Central Visayas (NBI-7) on Thursday, December 10, 2020.
Peralta was arrested in Laguna last December 8 by operatives from the NBI’s central office.
Lawyer Renan Oliva, director of NBI-7, said they had identified a total of six individuals, including the mastermind, whom they believed conspired to kill Wee.
Wee was fatally shot in front of his law office last November 23, 2020 in Barangay Kasambagan.
Oliva said all six suspects will be facing complaints on conspiracy to commit murder.
“Of the six suspects, three have been identified including the gunman. The other three, we have pictures of their faces, and based on testimonial evidence, pointed out that these suspects were with the three earlier identified. We now only need to determine their names,” said Oliva in Cebuano.
The NBI-7 director said they were able to trace and determine the suspects after gathering testimonial, documentary and electronic evidence, the latter referring to footage from close circuit television cameras (CCTVs).
In the meantime, Oliva said their investigation would continue to determine the identity of the mastermind even after they would file the cases.
He also said they had been coordinating with the police here who had formed a dedicated investigative task group to shed light on Wee’s killing. /dbs
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.