Financial assistance for first batch of typhoon victims in Cebu City ready for release

By: Delta Dyrecka Letigio - CDN Digital | December 28,2021 - 11:30 PM

CEBU CITY, Philippines—The Cebu City Department of Social Welfare and Services (DSWS) is ready to release the first batch of financial assistance for victims of super typhoon Odette (International name: Rai). 

According to DSWS Head, Portia Basmayor, the funds were prepared by the City Treasurer’s Office (CTO) on Tuesday December 28, 2021. 

They are awaiting the go signal of Mayor Michael Rama for the release, though in previous statements, the mayor already instructed the immediate release of funds as soon as the money is available. 

“As of now wala pa ta kasugod. Pero naa na ang kwarta nga P38 million, good for 7,615 beneficiaries for 18 barangays,” said Basmayor in an interview with CDN Digital. 

(As of now, we haven’t started. But the funds worth P38 million are there, good for 7,615 beneficiaries of 18 barangays.)

Each household will receive P5,000. 

These are the barangays that have submitted their full list of beneficiaries so far: 

North

Budlaan – 113

Sirao – 110

Pulangbato – 457

Binaliw – 452

Guba – 513

Capitol site – 492

Cogon Ramos – 113

Sambag 2 – 349

Talamban – 344

Paril – 143

Cambinocot – 914

Kamagayan – 225

South 

Pamutan – 459

Sinsin – 679

Pung-ol Sibugay – 833

Tagbao – 243

Sudlon II – 978

Pahina San Nicolas – 198

Basmayor said residents in these villages will be the first to receive the financial assistance as soon as the distribution starts. 

Following the first batch, at least 22 other barangays will immediately follow. 

Even before the financial assistance is released, the DSWS is already distributing relief goods to some areas in the city through packs donated by national agencies and private businesses. 

Recently, they distributed packs to 1,000 families in Barangay Sudlon I and 600 families in Barangay Sinsin. 

The DSWS urged the barangays to already submit a list of victim households in their jurisdiction so that they will be allocated financial assistance. 

The city has budgeted P600 million for financial assistance alone for an estimated 100,000 to 115,000 families. 

/bmjo

READ MORE: LOOK: Wrath of #OdettePH in Cebu

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: cebu city department of social welfare and services, DSWS, financial assistance, Super typhoon Odette, typhoon victims

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.