outbrain

LTFRB exec: Cebu can expect jeepney fare cut after Manila

By: Jhunnex Napallacan, Michelle Joy L. Padayhag January 22,2016 - 12:12 AM

THE riding public in Cebu can expect a reduction in jeepney fare but will have to wait a little longer.

This is the assurance from the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB 7) regional director Reynaldo Elnar.

Cebu is not covered by the 50-centavo fare cut granted in Luzon effective today because Central Visayas was  granted a provisional fare reduction of 50 centavos in January last year.

But there is a separate petition for a P1 fare reduction for jeepneys filed by Negros Oriental Rep. Manuel Iway, who is also a former LTFRB 7 regional director.

Elnar said there’s a big chance that the petition will be granted because of the oil price reduction.

The petition, which was filed in August of last year, is about to be resolved and will probably be discussed during the regional management conference in Cagayan de Oro City on January 27 to 29, which will be attended by regional directors and the LTFRB board members led by chairman Winston Ginez.

If granted, the minimum jeepney fare for Cebu and Central Visayas will be reduced to P6.50 from the original P7.50 for the first five kilometers.

He said it is also likely that LTFRB will issue an order giving a permanent P10 reduction in the flagdown rate for taxis.

LTFRB earlier granted a P10 provisional reduction, decreasing the flagdown rate to P30 from P40 but taxi meters are not yet recalibrated.

If a permanent order will be issued, taxi meters will have to be recalibrated to ensure that drivers will collect the exact fare.

On the other hand, LTFRB board member Ariel Enrile Inton Jr. said they have already sent directives to the regional offices to assess the situation in other regions if there is also a need for fare rollback.

“They (regional directors) can give their recommendations to us,” Inton said.

Greg Perez, Piston – Cebu coordinator, said they have not yet decided if they would file a petition for a voluntary fare rollback in Cebu.

“We are also waiting for word from our national counterpart on this matter. In case there will be a public hearing about this, then we will participate,” Perez told CDN.

The minimum jeepney fare will be cut by 50 centavos today in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, and Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon provinces) because of the series of fuel price rollback especially on diesel, which is used by passenger jeepneys.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.