200 families due for eviction in Calamba seek city govt’s help

By: Nestle L. Semilla, Sheila Mae Gumapon June 01,2016 - 10:17 PM

AT LEAST 200 families, who are facing eviction and the demolition of their homes in Sitio Almacen, Barangay Calamba, sought yesterday the Cebu city government’s help in their relocation.

The families made the call after the court issued a writ of demolition, which will be implemented next week.

Teresita Calago, 49, representative of the Calmacen III Homeowners’ Association Inc. and one of those affected, said they have seen a relocation site but they would need P7 million to pay for the lot so that they could move there.

“Matabangan unta mi niya [Mayor Osmeña] atong kuwang namo nga P7 million (We hope that Mayor Osmeña can help us with the P7 million to buy the lot),” Calago said.

Aside from that the group also asked for a 6-month moratorium so they can prepare to move out of the area. The group is made up at least 140 families.

The private lot of more than 2,000-square meters is owned by Geroncio N. Lopez and Cenon L. Lopez.

The other group, Homeless Individuals of Sitio Almacen, made up of at least 50 families, also backed the other group’s call for help to the city government.

Maura Enriquez, secretary of the group, said in Cebuano that the first option is to ask the city government to relocate them, and the second option if they can’t be relocated, would be to ask for cash assistance from the city government.

But acting Cebu City Mayor Margarita “Margot” Osmeña in an interview, said that she can probably write a letter to the court asking for a possible deferment.

“In the meantime, it gives DWUP (Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor) time to look for a possible relocation site. No cash assistance. More of relocation,” she said.

Last week, Osmeña issued a memorandum imposing a moratorium on demolitions in the city, but it did not cover court-ordered evictions.

The writ of demolition was issued by Branch 5 of the Municipal Trial Court in Cities last April 21, 2016.

A notice to vacate the lot was issued against the Calmacen group by the court last November 2015.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Calamba, Cebu, Cebu City, demolition, financial assistance, homeowners, relocation site

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.