Dela Rosa should name mayors, cops involved in drugs
THE police hierarchy should reveal names of police officials and mayors in Cebu who are allegedly receiving or have received drug money.
Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said everybody becomes a suspect if Philippine National Police Director General Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa merely issues general statements and refuses to name names.
“If he has the goods on these PNP officials somehow involved as protectors or gadawat ba’g allowance gikan sa (or receiving allowance from) drug lords, I would suggest nga iyang isulti (that he divulge it),” Davide said.
During Dela Rosa’s visit in Cebu last Monday, he disclosed that the reason why he relieved several top police officials in Cebu was because there were some allegedly involved in illegal drugs. He also said some local government executives were also under the payroll of drug lords.
At the same time, Davide also said that if Cebuano businessman Peter Lim is really part of the drug triad in the country, charges should already be filed against him.
“If it’s true that he’s involved, charge him. Charges should be filed so that he can also answer. There is a constitutional presumption of innocence,” he said.
The governor reiterated his surprise over the decision of Camp Crame to relieve several police officers in Cebu including former Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Director Sr. Supt. Clifford Gairanod last week.
He said he would have wanted Gairanod and former Police Regional Office (PRO-7) Director Patrocinio Comendador to remain in their posts.
Nonetheless, he said he hopes their replacements would perform their job well.
“As long as the newly appointed chiefs perform well, do what’s right and be aggressive in our campaign against illegal drugs, that’s what I’m asking,” Davide added.
This is also why Davide said he understood Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña getting upset over the sudden change of police officers.
Davide believes Osmeña will eventually continue to support the PNP’s anti-illegal drugs campaign.
Meanwhile the newly appointed Cebu City Police Chief, Senior Supt. Joel Doria paid a courtesy call on the Cebu City Council during its regular session yesterday.
He promised the council that he would maintain peace and order in the city and continue to intensify operations against illegal drugs.
Interviewed by reporters, Doria said there will be another revamp coming. He said he does not blame the mayor for being upset about the sudden changes in command.
“Prerogative ng ating mayor at di natin siya masisi considering na biglaan po ang mga orders, palitan. Right now, may mga orders na naman na lumalabas. We will be expecting for a revamp na naman, may mga officers na naman na ma-transfer (It’s the prerogative of our mayor, and we cannot blame him for being upset because the orders were very sudden. There are other orders coming and there will be another revamp),” he said.
He said he was surprised by his transfer to Cebu City considering that he had just been assigned at National Headquarters of National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).
Doria said that despite the withdrawal of the city’s support to the police, they would do their best with their existing resources.
“‘Yung support sa LGU malaking tulong ‘yun and if mawawala ‘yun medyo mahahati ‘yung ating trabaho especially ‘yung hours. Although mag-exert tayo ng effort to maintain the work na currently ginagawa natin, but then we have also to think that ‘yung support hindi para sa police but para sa mamamayan ng Cebu kasi sa support nila ginagawa ng kapulisan ang kanilang trabaho para sa kapakanan ng mga Cebuano (Support from the LGU is a great help; and if it is lost, our work will be divided, especially the hours. Although we will exert efforts to maintain the work currently done, we also have to think that the support is not for the police but for the residents of Cebu because with this support, the police do their job for the good of the Cebuanos),” he said.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.