E-sabong’s social costs: Debt, possibly, even death

Kurt dela Peña 05/04/2022

MANILA, Philippines—As sabong (cockfight) went online in 2018, the House of Representatives already expressed its concerns, but as COVID-19 lockdowns were implemented in 2020, the craze even went wilder. It was in 2020 when Mike Tabelina, 32,…

CCPO awaits directives on closure of e-sabong

Pegeen Maisie M. Sararaña 05/03/2022

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Police here are already waiting for directives from national headquarters to conduct operations against e-sabong following President Rodrigo Duterte’s order for its closure. The order of Duterte to end e-sabong stemmed from the…

BREAKING: Duterte OKs end to e-sabong

Christia Marie Ramos 05/03/2022

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte said he will order an end to e-sabong following the recommendation of Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, citing its social cost to Filipinos. “The recommendation of Sec. Año is to do away…

Just-graduated cop nabbed for crimes linked to e-sabong

Dexter Cabalza 04/03/2022

MANILA, Philippines — Manila police officers have arrested a young Calabarzon regional police officer who just graduated last year for allegedly splurging some P500,000 meant for drug sting operations in online cockfights (e-sabong). Operatives of the Manila…

Duterte justifies not suspending e-sabong

Daphne Galvez 03/30/2022

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday justified his decision not to suspend e-sabong, or online cockfighting, operations, saying it is legal and the government earns millions from it monthly. “‘That’s because e-sabong is legal. When…

Atong Ang’s e-sabong firm earns P3B gross income per month, senators learn

Christia Marie Ramos 03/05/2022

MANILA, Philippines — The government generates a P640-million revenue from e-sabong operations in the country per month, a “pittance” compared to the P3 billion gross monthly income being earned by the online sabong firm of gaming consultant Atong…

Cebu City Police: No directives yet on suspension of ‘E-sabong’

Jewil Anne M. Tabiolo 03/04/2022

CEBU CITY, Philippines — E-sabong, or online cockfighting, is still okay in Cebu City. Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) deputy director for operations Police Lieutenant Colonel Wilbert Parilla said during a press conference that no E-sabong operations…

Sen. Hontiveros wants e-Sabong regulated

Futch Anthony Inso 03/03/2022

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — Reelectionist Senator Risa Hontiveros is calling on the government to regulate the operation of e-Sabong in the country. Hontiveros is one of the senators who signed the resolution requesting the Philippine Amusement and…

E-sabong firm gets 25-year franchise

Nestor Corrales 09/21/2021

The House of Representatives on Monday approved on third and final reading a bill that would grant Lucky 8 Star Quest Inc. a franchise to operate offsite betting stations for online cockfighting or “e-sabong” anywhere in the…

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.