NBI probes Mandaluyong shooting mishap

By Inquirer.net December 29,2017


The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has stepped in to conduct an investigation into the shooting mishap by the Mandaluyong City police on Shaw Boulevard, claiming the lives of two innocent people.

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Friday signed a department order for the NBI to conduct a parallel investigation and case build-up on the casualties in the deadly Mandaluyong City police operation.

Aguirre also ordered the NBI to gather evidence and file appropriate charges before the Department of Justice (DOJ) against those responsible for the incident.

At the same time, Aguirre ordered NBI Director Dante Gierran to regularly submit a progress report to his office to keep him updated on the NBI investigation.

On Friday before dawn, policemen and village watchmen reportedly opened fire on a white Mitsubishi Adventure van along Shaw Boulevard corner of Old Wack-Wack road.

It was reportedly a case of mistaken identity.

The car was said to be transporting to a hospital an injured woman who had been shot when policemen opened fire thinking it was the one involved in the shooting.

The chief of police of Mandaluyong City and 10 of his men were relieved of their posts Friday after a shooting incident that claimed the lives of two innocent people.

National Capital Region Police (NCRPO) chief Director Oscar Albayalde ordered the relief of the lawmen led by city police chief Sr. Supt. Moises Villaceran Jr.

The 10 police officers ordered relieved are Police Officers 1 Alfred Uribe, Jave Arellano, Tito Danao, Mark Castillo, Julius Libuen, Bryan Nicolas, Albert Buwag, Kim Rufford Tibunsay, PO2 Nel Lemuel Songalia and team leader, Senior Inspector Maria Cristina S. Vasquez. Villaceran, on the other hand is temporarily relieved from his post, says Albayalde.

A memorandum has been asking the PNP Crime Laboratory to conduct a ballistic examination on the service firearms of the 10 relieved police officers.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.