Heavy garbage volume, high passenger turnout
While most Cebu City residents went back to work yesterday, City Hall’s Department of Public Service (DPS) had to clean up the large volume of garbage left behind by families who visited the city’s cemeteries.
DPS assistant chief John Paul Gelasque told Cebu Daily News that they have no choice but to collect unsegregated waste from the cemeteries despite issuing an advisory on waste segregation to cemetery caretakers.
“The waste we collected are mixed. . . . We will give the cemetery administrators consideration this time,” Gelasque said in Cebuano.
Gelasque said most of the garbage came from public cemeteries such as the Calamba Public Cemetery, Pardo Public Cemetery and Carretta Public Cemetery with the largest volume from Carreta.
At the Cebu International Port (CIP), the Philippine Coast Guard-Cebu station recorded 30,000 passengers leaving and arriving in Cebu province during the holiday break.
As of 1 a.m. yesterday, PCG Cebu’s duty operations officer Aprentisimo Alcansas said their head count of passengers returning to Cebu increased to 10,077.
“Most of them came from Bohol and Leyte,” Alcansas said.
At the Cebu South Bus Terminal, passenger volume and turnout from Oct. 29 to Nov. 1 was manageable even if it was larger than last year, management said yesterday.
Alberto Joey Herrera Jr., chief of CSBT security, said they recorded 125,525 passengers and 3,318 bus rides based on terminal fees during that period and there were no major untoward incidents.
At the Cebu North Bus Terminal (CNBT), passenger volume was lower during the four-day holiday at 60,000 passengers and 1,200 bus rides, CNBT staffer Clarissa Deniega said.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.