Melindo’s title-defense set Sept. 16
NEWLY crowned International Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Milan “El Metodico” Melindo will make his first title defense on Sept. 16 in the Pinoy Pride 42 at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel and Casino.
ALA Promotions International president Michael P. Aldeguer said he is looking at boxers in the top 15 of the IBF light flyweight division to be Melindo’s opponent.
Melindo’s title defense is voluntary, meaning his promoter will choose who his opponent will be.
The 29-year-old Melindo, who has a record of 36 wins (13 KOs), 2 losses, 0 draws, is a native of Cagayan de Oro City. He pulled off one of the biggest upsets in boxing this year when he dethroned IBF light flyweight champion Akira Yaegashi (25-6-0, 13KOs) last May in Tokyo, Japan via a first round Technical Knockout (TKO).
Among the top contenders for Melindo’s title is fellow Filipino Randy Petalcorin, who is ranked number three in the light flyweight division.
Thai Fahlan Sakkreerin Jr., who Melindo beat last year to become interim IBF light flyweight champion, is ranked number four while South African Hekkie Budler is at number five.
The rest of IBF’s top 15 boxers are Tetsuya Hiyada, Yaegashi, Jessie Espinas, Hector Flores, Pedro Guevara, Carlos Canizales, Gilberto Parra, Juan Alejo, and Martin Tecuapetla.
Aldeguer said that they will make an announcement once they already have an opponent for Melindo.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.