Nietes camp: ‘We never said we won’t be fighting Palicte’
CEBU CITY, Philippines – The camp of four-division world champion Donnie “Ahas” Nietes denied that they have yet to respond to the call for rematch made by the camp of Aston Palicte.
In an official statement sent to CDN Digital, Michael Aldeguer, the president/CEO of ALA Promotions that handles Nietes, said they “have been in contact with Roy Jones Promotions since last week.”
Roy Jones Promotions is the international promoter of Palicte who wants a world title fight for the Filipino, the mandatory challenger for Nietes’ title.
Last week, the World Boxing Organization (WBO) ordered both camps of Nietes and Palicte to come up with an agreement for a rematch within 15 days.
In September of 2018, the 36-year-old native of Murcia, Negros Occidental, fought Palicte in California, USA, which ended in a split draw.
Nietes capped 2018 by winning his fourth division title when he fought Japan’s Kazumo Ioka to a split decision on December 31, 2018 in Macao.
He added the World Boxing Organization (WBO) super flyweight title to his mini flyweight, junior flyweight and flyweight titles.
Palicte also scored a second-round knockout win over Jose Martinez.
Nietes’ camp denied reports that they have yet to respond to the call out of Palicte’s camp for a rematch.
“We never said we won’t be fighting Palicte. What we said is Nietes is looking for the bigger fights and still weighing the options, including fighting Palicte,” said Aldeguer in the statement.
Nietes’ camp refused to divulge any details while negotiations are still on going except to confirm that they are considering the Palicte fight.
Both camps have until next week to make a decision. /bmjo
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.