Ermita barangay chief seeks City Council’s help to hasten reblocking of fire-hit sitios
CEBU CITY, Philippines — The barangay chief of Ermita in Cebu City is asking the City Council to hasten the reblocking of the three sitios burned in a massive fire on February 5.
In a letter dated March 15 and addressed to Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella, the presiding officer of the City Council, Ermita Acting Barangay Captain Efe Rupinta said that the residents had been eager to reconstruct their houses and “go home” following the fire that razed 100 houses and displaced 2,800 individuals.
“Requesting your prompt and philanthropic actions to realize and fast-tracking the re-blocking project of burnt houses in Sitio Bato, Katsilaan, and Pig Vendor, Barangay Ermita, Cebu City,” said Rupinta in the letter.
Rupinta is requesting that the Department for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP), the Office of the Building Officials (OBO), and the City Engineering Office, to submit the plans for the reblocking as soon as possible.
She is also requesting for a meeting with the three offices and the representatives of the sitios to discuss the plans on the reblocking.
The City Council approved the request of Rupinta on the regular session on Tuesday, March 26.
Councilor Margot Osmeña moved to request the DWUP, OBO, and City Engineering Office to immediately respond to the request.
Read more: In photos: A day after the Ermita fire
DWUP head, Genevieve Alcoseba, in a text message to reporters said that they would be furnishing their plans to Barangay Ermita within the week, not later than Saturday.
Rupinta said she hoped that by the end of the summer, the residents would have already built their homes before the rainy season could start. ###
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.