Hong Kong protest marks anniversary of violent police clash
HONG KONG — More than 100 protesters in Hong Kong marched and shouted slogans during a lunchtime protest Friday in a luxury shopping mall marking the one-year anniversary of a clash with police outside the semi-autonomous Chinese city’s legislature.
The protesters marched through the mall in the Admiralty business district holding flags that read “Hong Kong independence” and shouting “Stand for freedom, stand with Hong Kong.” They sang the protest anthem “Glory to Hong Kong” and laid out a large banner with a Chinese saying meaning “The people fear not death, why threaten them with it?”
The demonstrators were commemorating a demonstration last year in which tens of thousands of protesters surrounded the legislative building, delaying the start of debate on an extradition bill that would have allowed criminal suspects to be sent to mainland China for trial. Police used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse the protesters in one of the first violent clashes in what would become a monthslong push for greater democracy.
The protest movement quieted down earlier this year as the coronavirus pandemic began, but picked up steam in recent weeks after China’s ceremonial parliament agreed to enact a new national security law for Hong Kong, a former British colony.
The government says the law is aimed at curbing secessionist and subversive behavior in the city, as well as preventing foreign intervention in its internal affairs. Critics say it is an attack on the freedoms promised to Hong Kong when it was handed over to China in 1997.
Hong Kong operates under a “one country, two systems” framework that gives the city rights not found on the mainland, such as freedom of speech and assembly.
In a separate demonstration Friday, more than 100 students in the Kowloon district formed a human chain to protest the removal of a music teacher for allegedly allowing students to sing protest songs.
On Thursday, three pro-democracy activists and a media tycoon who owns the Apple Daily newspaper, Jimmy Lai, were charged with “inciting others to participate in an unauthorized assembly” over a candlelight vigil last week marking Beijing’s 1989 crackdown on protesters in Tiananmen Square.
Police banned the annual vigil for the first time in three decades, citing public health concerns over the coronavirus pandemic. Thousands of people turned up anyway.
In Beijing on Friday, foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying lashed out at the U.K. for issuing a regular six-month report on developments in Hong Kong.
“Hong Kong affairs are China’s internal affairs. No foreign organization or individual has the right to intervene. The British side has no sovereignty, governance, supervision, or so-called responsibility over Hong Kong,” Hua said.
Hua also defended the proposed national security legislation, saying Britain should “face up to reality, respect China’s sovereignty, security, and integrity, and stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs in any way.”
“The more external forces intervene in Hong Kong affairs, the more determined China is to advance the national security legislation in Hong Kong,” Hua said.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.