COVID-19 protocols to keep crowds small in events for 500 years of PH Christianity
BORONGAN CITY, Eastern Samar—Health protocols to prevent the spread of SARS Cov2, the virus that causes COVID-19 and which humans transmit, was likely to keep crowds small during the celebration of 500 years of Christianity in the Philippines.
“Our commemoration will not be open to the general public,” said Neil Alejandro Pinok, provincial tourism officer. Organizers of events related to the Church’s biggest celebration in the country are heeding advisory by the Department of Health (DOH) against mass gatherings, he said.
The local government of Guiuan town, Eastern Samar province was preparing to host the opening of the year-long celebration.
At an online press conference, Guiuan Mayor Annaliz Gonzales-Kwan said the celebration would start on March 14 and end on March 18.
Events in Guiuan included unveiling of markers for 500 years of Christianity on Monay Beach, Calicoan Island on March 16, Suluan Island on March 17 and Magellan Village in Homonhon Island on March 18.
Other events included Mass on Homonhon Island followed by a lecture of Dr. Ambeth Ocampo, of Ateneo de Manila and Inquirer columnist, in the afternoon.
President Rodrigo Duterte had been invited to lead the unveiling of the marker on March 16.
PInarok said he hoped the youth would take part in the events by watching these on TV and social media platforms.
“The youth should know all about it and it should never be forgotten,” he said.
Subscribe to our regional newsletter
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.