Police now have 3 persons of interest in the killing of Reynante Cortes

By: Mae Fhel Gom-os - CDN Digital Multi-Media Reporter | August 11,2021 - 08:37 PM
Rey Cortes

Rey Cortes | Photo from Rey Cortes’ FB

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu — Cebu City police said they now have three persons of interest (POI) who may be involved in the killing of radio blocktimer Reynante “Rey” Cortes last July 22 in Barangay Mambaling, Cebu City.

Police Colonel Josefino Ligan, the director of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), told reporters on Wednesday, August 11, 2021, that the three POIs are currently undergoing interrogation.

Ligan disclosed that they were considered POIs based on the testimonies of those who were present near the crime scene as well as the statement of Cortes’ family.

Ligan, however, hopes that the three, who may have known Cortes, would soon be eliminated as POIs.

“Possible nga kaila silang Cortes. Na-invite naning tulo, nakuhaan na og statement then follow-through nalang. Sa atong follow-though, basin ma-eliminate nalang pod nato sila, then balik napod ta, makakita napod ta’g other persons of interest,” he said.

“As we conduct the investigation, possible pod nga ma-eliminate na sila kay tungod siguro ang ilahang presensya or kalambigitan dili pod mohaom sa mga ebidensiya,” the city director added.

Per Ligan, POI means there are assumptions or possibilities that one way or another, they might be involved in the killing of Cortes.

Upon interrogation, however, all three denied any involvement in Cortes’ murder.

As the investigation goes deeper, Ligan said the motive behind the killing remains to be work-related, stressing that Cortes was known to be a ‘hard-hitting’ commentator.

During their fourth meeting with the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG), Ligan said they will be requesting another cross-matching in a similar incident in Region 6 or Western Visayas.

“Naa may insidente nga the same ang nahitabo. So, ang atong i-request kay based dun sa bala nga atong nakuha pod. Then naka-reconstruct nata sa crime scene gyud,” said Ligan.

It was found out earlier that a 5.56 high-powered firearm which has a bullet designed to break when fired was used by the still unidentified perpetrator.

RELATED STORIES

Cops admit facing a blank wall in the killing of radioman Cortes

Cebu City police baffled by radioman’s autopsy results

 

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: barangay Mambaling, Cebu City Police Office, Colonel Josefino Ligan, Cortes killing, persons of interest, POI, radio blocktimer, radio commentator, Reynante "Rey" Cortes

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.