11 dead in mass shooting in Montenegro, state prosecutor says

By: Reuters August 13,2022 - 11:07 AM
Photo of police responders for story:11 dead in mass shooting in Montenegro, state prosecutor says

Rescue personnel talks to citizens at the crime scene of a mass shooting in which 11 people, including the gunman, were killed, according to local media reports, in Cetinje, Montenegro August 12, 2022. REUTERS/Stevo Vasiljevic

BELGRADE — Eleven people, including two children and a gunman, were killed in a mass shooting in Montenegro on Friday, and six others were injured, a state prosecutor told Vijesti TV after an initial investigation of the crime scene.

Local media initially had reported that a total of 12 people, including a shooter, had been killed.

“When we arrived at the scene we saw nine dead bodies, including two children, and another two passed away on their way to the hospital,” Andrijana Nastic, a state prosecutor, told Vijesti TV.

Nastic did not say how old the children killed were and could not reveal details regarding the identities of the victims. Media reported earlier that a policeman had been among the injured.

“I can only say that the shooter was killed by a citizen (civilian),” Nastic said. Media earlier had reported that police had killed the shooter.

Media reported a man from Cetinje had opened fire at random in his neighborhood after a family dispute.

Montenegro’s Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic said a three-day mourning period would be declared in the country starting Friday evening.

“I was deeply disturbed with reports about terrible tragedy in Cetinje. I express my deepest condolences to those families affected and all those who lost their loved ones,” President Milo Djukanovic tweeted.

RELATED STORIES

Teenage gunman’s victims in Texas school shooting rise to 18

Police arrest suspect after gunman kills six at US July 4 parade

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: 11 dead, Cebu Daily News, mass shooting, Montenegro, US

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.