cdn mobile
Contingency plan 

In case of bad weather, Basilica considering procession at CCLEX instead of fluvial

By: Futch Anthony Inso, Pegeen Maisie Sararana - CDN Digital | January 11,2023 - 03:33 PM

CCLEX procession

Fr. John Ion Miranda, spokesperson of Basilica Minore Del Santo Niño, inspects the part where the images of the Señor Santo Niño and Birhen sa Guadalupe will be placed at the BRP CABRA, which is this year’s official galleon for fluvial procession. CDN Digital photo | Pegeen Maisie Sararaña

CEBU CITY, Philippines — In case of bad weather, officials from the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu is considering a procession along the Cebu-Cordova Link Expressway (CCLEX) as their contingency plan for the Fluvial Procession on Saturday, January 14, 2023. 

Fr. John Ion Miranda, spokesperson of Basilica Minore Del Santo Niño, said that the decision will depend on the assessment of the Philippine Coast Guard in Cebu on the weather on Saturday. 

“If ever the Coast Guard will tell us nga dili madayun because of the weather, atong plan B is muagi ta’s CCLEX, the same sa ato gihimo last January,” Miranda said. 

Sinulog2023 StripAd_UPDATED

In last year’s Fiesta Señor, the image of the Holy Child passed through the CCLEX as no fluvial procession was held.

Miranda, together with other personnel from the Naval Forces Central and the Philippine Cost Guard, conducted a dry run on the fluvial procession on Wednesday, January 11. It started at the Captain Veloso Pier in Barangay Looc in Lapu-Lapu City. 

The dry run’s route passed underneath the Osmeña Bridge, or the Old Mandaue-Mactan Bridge, and then towards the CCLEX before heading back to Pier 1 in Cebu City. 

Commander Mark Larsen Mariano, Coast Guard Commander Central Visayas, said that the two-hour time frame set for the fluvial procession is enough to finish the entire route. The boat carrying the image of the Holy Child is expected to cruise at six knots, which could be adjusted when needed. 

“Pasok naman tayo sa window hours natin. We will be there in time,” Mariano said. 

Mariano further said that as early as 4 a.m. on Saturday, they will be closing both the north and south entrances of the Mactan Channel as this should be cleared from vessels not registered to join the activity.

Earlier, the PCG-7 disclosed that a total of 76 vessels have registered to their office to join the activity.  

BRP CABRA is this year’s official galleon that will carry the image of Señor Santo Niño and the Birhen sa Guadalupe. 

Mariano added that they will be strict with the entry of prohibited things such as bladed weapons or others that would hurt devotees during the fluvial procession. He added that individuals who are 12 years old and below are not permitted to join this activity. 

/bmjo

READ MORE:

Rainy days ahead for Metro Cebu

Coast Guard Cebu warns public over fake permits for fluvial procession

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu, CCLEX, Cebu-Cordova Link Expressway, Fiesta Señor, fluvial procession, procession, Sinulog Festival

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.