Protest filed against Opascor van yard in Looc

By: Norman V. Mendoza February 12,2015 - 09:04 AM

Residents and students of a public college on J.M. Ceniza Street in barangay Looc,  Mandaue City signed a petition addressed to Mayor Jonas Cortes asking for the cancellation of the permit issued to a container yard operated by the Oriental Port and Allied Services Corp. (Opascor).

They asked the mayor  to order the repair of  the road that was damaged by   heavy trailer trucks  going in and out of the area.

The petition came after a female student of Mandaue City College Technological and Entrepreneurial Skills Training (MCTEST) was injured as she was sideswiped by a trailer.

Danilo Dionson, a resident, said he wrote the Mayor’s Office last year to complain about the condition of the road and the poor drainage system in the area,  but there has been no action until now. This time, he wrote  barangay captain Ceasar Cabahug to oppose the  renewal of Opascor’s business permit and barangay clearance which allows them to operate the yard.

Dionson challenged barangay officials to observe the impact of the operation of the container yard.

Venus Bate, spokesperson of the petitioners, said a concrete wall was damaged after it was hit by a trailer truck that was  recklessly driven.

The trucks also damaged water pipes and water meters of the Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) along the road affecting the residents’ water supply.

Barangay captain Cabahug said he has   forwarded the petition to the Mandaue City Council through Vice Mayor Glenn Bercede.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS:

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.