Gun-for-hire group members nabbed in Bohol, P300K shabu seized
CEBU CITY, Philippines – Members of a suspected gun-for-hire group that is based in Bohol landed in jail after they were caught by authorities during a buy-bust operation early on Thursday morning, October 19,2023.
The anti-illegal drugs operation was made in Purok 1, Barangay Danao in Panglao, Bohol at around 6:30 a.m.
Two of the arrested persons were identified as Regie Abundo and his alleged cohort, Christian Manayaga. Also arrested were their “associates” who were identified as Bridget Rose Olaivar and Princess Vanna Cutaran.
Meanwhile, two minors were also rescued during the buy-bust operation.
Police described the suspects as high-value individuals (HVI) who are part of an “emerging” gun-for-hire group.
Authorities recovered from their possession 55 grams of suspected shabu worth at least P374,000; a .9mm pistol loaded with 9 live ammunitions; and a KG-9 sub machine gun with 19 live ammunitions.
The buy-bust operation was organized by the Provincial Intelligence Unit (PIU)/ Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit (PDEU) of the Bohol Police Provincial Office together with the Panglao Municipal Police Station and Dauis Municipal Police Station.
Police Lieutenant Colonel Gerard Ace Pelare, spokesperson of the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7), said that based on their investigation, the arrested individuals were part of a gun-for-hire group.
He said that the highly-organized group may have been responsible for previous drug-related shooting incidents in Bohol province.
“Sa atong investigation nga gihimo, kini nga grupo na-involve ni sila sa mga drug-related shootings in Bohol previously. So, atoning gitan-aw. What we are going to do is we conduct ballistic examination sa armas nga nakuha, atong i-match didto sa mga previous shooting incidents,” he said.
Pelare said that they will be conducting backtracking as part of their ongoing investigation.
“We are now considering backtracking of shooting incidents in previous months kay naa tay nakita nga mga information nag na-involve sila sa drug-related incidents,” he said.
According to Pelare, local authorities conducted surveillance and intelligence monitoring to gather evidence before the conduct of the buy-bust operation.
He also disclosed that they received information that the group may have been used to commit crimes and disrupt the conduct of the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections scheduled on October 30.
“Ato sang nakita nga kining grupoha, possible untang magamit sa Barangay and SK elections by some unscrupulous political candidates. But because of this aggressive operation instructed and supervised by our Regional Director Police Brigadier General Anthony Aberin mas mamahimong peaceful and secured ang Bohol province,” Pelare said.
The arrested persons are currently in the custody of local authorities pending the filing of appropriate charges against them.
Pelare said that charges for the illegal possession of loose firearms and illegal drugs will soon be filed against them.
With the BSKE scheduled on Oct. 30, Pelare assured that they will continue to prepare for the event and make sure that no untoward incidents would happen in Central Visayas.
“Magpadayon ang PRO-7 nga mangandam sa election unya part ani ang atong aggressive stance against all forms of criminalities,” he said.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.