Globe, Sun ordered to shut down Apas cell sites
ACTING Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella has ordered Globe Telecom and Sun Cellular to cease operating their cell sites in sitio Calvary Hills, barangay Apas.
In his separate letters to the two companies, Labella said the special permit issued to them was revoked by the Cebu City Council in May last year.
“In view of the foregoing, you are hereby ORDERED to CLOSE the operation of your cell site IMMEDIATELY UPON RECEIPT HEREOF.
This order shall take effect immediately and shall continue indefinitely until such time that this is ordered revoked or lifted,” Labella said in his order.
The directives were sent out on Thursday.
Labella also ordered police personnel and the city’s Prevention Restoration Order Beautification Enhancement (Probe) team to enforce the closure order and inform his office within five days from their implementation.
Residents of sitio Calvary Hills have lobbied for the removal of the cell sites in the area, saying the radiation emitted by the towers has caused cancer-related deaths.
Representatives of Globe and Sun Cellular have yet to comment on the closure order.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.