Girl who cursed IEC gets threats

By: Jose Santino S. Bunachita February 01,2016 - 10:56 PM
CDN reporter Jose Santino S. Bunachita talks to the 29-year-old woman who cursed the traffic congestion caused by the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC). (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

CDN reporter Jose Santino S. Bunachita talks to the 29-year-old woman who cursed the traffic congestion caused by the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC). (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

AFTER receiving several threats, the 29-year-old woman who cursed the recently concluded 51st International Eucharistic Congress (IEC) for causing traffic congestion has come out and apologized for what she did.

“Jane” (real name withheld upon her and her lawyer’s request) told Cebu Daily News in an interview that she did not mean to offend people when she complained of the traffic in her Facebook post last Tuesday.

“I’d like the people to know that for all those I have hurt, probably offended, I’d like to extend my sincere apologies for whatever harm I’ve caused,” she said in an exclusive interview yesterday.

In her Facebook post Tuesday morning last week, she said she and her parents had to leave for the airport from their house five hours before their scheduled flight to avoid traffic brought about by Cebu’s hosting of the IEC.

She added the hashtag “#F–––ingIEC”.

“It was just a rant. It was just an expression of frustration. I never would have guessed that it would blow up this way,” shared Jane who works as a sales trainer.

Jane said she decided to come out after consulting a lawyer and after she received death threats and hate mails on her Facebook messages from people who said they would run her over with a car, physically abuse her or even rape her.

Her lawyer Rene Abcede said they were looking into the identity of the people who have been sending her threats.

They were also checking the identity of the administrator of the Facebook Page “Cebu Flash Report” which posted screen shots of her post with the caption that demeaned her person.

Abcede said they would file cases of cyberbullying as well as libel against those sending threats and the administrator of the “Cebu Flash Report” Facebook page, respectively.

Jane, who admitted that she does not practice any religion, said that while she apologized for what happened, she would stand by her opinion. She said she has no plans of taking down her post.

She also clarified that using the F word has become a habit for her.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Cebu Flash Report, Facebook, IEC

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.