Family wants to know cause of OFW’s death, approves autopsy

By: Victor Anthony V. Silva February 09,2016 - 10:17 PM

THE family of overseas worker Lotis Camocamo wants to know the real cause of her death before she is finally laid to rest.

The father, Saturnino Yu, said the family is thankful her remains have been brought back to Cebu, but what’s most important is to find out how she really died.

“”Maayo unta nga bag-o malubong, mahibaw-an namo unsay gikamatyan (I hope before we bury her, we will know the cause of her death),” he said in a press conference at the the Cosmopolitan Funeral Chapels on Junquera street, Cebu City yesterday.

The mother, Zenaida Yu, said the body will undergo autopsy again on Thursday, February 11, at 7 a.m. The body will then be brought to their home in Barangay Mainggit in Toledo City.

The remains of the 35-year-old worker, accompanied by widower Domingo, arrived in Cebu last Monday via Philippine Airlines from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

The family refused to grant interviews last Monday and asked for privacy.

Domingo was accompanied by OFW advocate and senatorial aspirant, Susan “Toots” Ople, whose foundation helped shoulder the cost of bringing Camocamo’s body home.

The Blas F. Ople Foundation and Camocamo’s placement agency, Global Alliance Consultancy Inc., shouldered the repatriation costs.

Camocamo died on October 29 last year, but her loved ones in Cebu only found out about her death in late December. Riyadh police said she died after falling from the third floor of her building.

Her family believes there was foul play involved. According to Domingo, Camocamo was employed by a high-ranking official in Riyadh.

The male employer was reportedly kind to her, but his spouse allegedly attempted to hurt her and even confiscated Camocamo’s mobile phone days before her death.

Domingo said he signed a waiver at the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh preventing him from pressing charges against the employer in order to bring his wife’s remains home.

Camocamo’s body arrived at the funeral chapels past 9 p.m. last Monday.

Abbey Gonzales, Cosmopolitan branch manager, said they still have to thaw the body which was frozen for more than three months in a morgue in Riyadh.
“We will also conduct another autopsy on the body since the family asked us to,” he said.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.