Exec: Cebu port cuts 7-month revenue shortfall to P540M

By: Victor Anthony V. Silva August 07,2016 - 09:14 PM

THE Cebu Port has cut by 4.5 percent or P540 million its revenue shortfall in the first seven months of the year.

Acting Cebu Customs District Collector Rico Rey Francis Holganza said yesterday that the Cebu Port exceeding its revenue targets in June and July had helped cut the deficit of their target P11 billion revenue collection for the seven-month period of the year.

The Cebu Port collected P1.71 billion in duties and taxes last month, exceeding its P1.68 billion target and registering a P28.7 million surplus for July this year.

“Among the 17 collection districts nationwide, Cebu ranks second in terms of performance,” he said.

He said the Zamboanga port is first in terms of performance mainly because its collection target for January to July is only P99.7 million while Cebu’s is more than P11 billion for the same period.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) registered a revenue shortfall in regional ports under its supervision in the last six months of 2016.

According to a recent Inquirer report, the office logged a deficit of nearly P50 billion from January to June this year, with ports in the provinces accounting for more than P6 billion of the deficit.

The Cebu Port had a P621.2-million deficit in the first six months, trailing behind Subic with P2.13 billion, Davao City with P1.23 billion, and Cagayan de Oro City with P808.6 million.

All ports under the supervision of the BOC were unable to hit revenue targets in April and May.

Holganza earlier stressed that the BOC is dependent on the imports that come in and that without these, they have no income.

A huge number of imported power and oil products coming in through the port contributed largely to the increase, Holganza said in a previous report.

Holganza also highlighted the importance of constant communication with brokers and importers to remind them to file their entries as soon as their shipments arrive in Cebu.

Federico Escalona, executive director of the Philippine Exporters Confederation (Philexport) in Cebu, said that the reason for the shortfall was the global economic slowdown rather than poor performance of the bureau.

“It has been reported that for 14 straight months until now, exports have been registering negative growth,” he said.

He added that many experts are predicting this situation will continue until next year.

Escalona, however, could not speak on behalf of importers.

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

TAGS: Bureau of Customs, Cebu Customs, Cebu Customs District Collector, Cebu port, cebu port revenue, PhilExport, Philippine Exporters Confederation, revenue, Rico Rey Francis Holganza

Subscribe to our regional newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.