Danao cops on guard amid threats

By Carmel Loise Matus |August 14,2016 - 09:07 PM
Senior Insp. Alejandro Batobalanos (left), Danao City police chief, and his men outside their office hours after last week’s strafing.  (CDN Photo/Tonee Despojo)

Senior Insp. Alejandro Batobalanos (left), Danao City police chief, and his men outside their office hours after last week’s strafing. (CDN Photo/Tonee Despojo)

Danao City policemen have become extra cautious four days after an operation that resulted in the death of Medz Alvaro, younger brother of suspected drug lord Alvaro “Barok” Alvaro.

Senior Insp. Alejandro Batobalonos, Danao City police chief, confirmed in a phone interview yesterday that he receiveda fourth death threat yesterday morning.

He said the death threat sent via text message read: “Dili namo ilubong among igsoon kung walay pulis nga iapil ug lubong (We will not burry our brother if no policeman will be buried also).”

Two threats via text messages were sent last Saturday while the first text message was sent last Friday morning, hours after Medz Alvaro was killed in a shootout.

“Dili namo tagdon kay ang iro nga buot mopaak, mopaak dayon. Dili magsige og paghot (We don’t mind them because a dog who wants to bite, just bites immediately. It wouldn’t just bark),” Batobalonos said.

He said the sender used different mobile phone numbers.

“Wala ta mahadlok ana nila . . . Salig lang ta sa Ginoo (We are not afraid of them… We entrust our lives to God),” he said.

He said he advised his men to be extra careful in their activities especially at night.

Batobalonos said he received information that the Alvaros had a meeting last Friday evening at their compound located in Barangay Looc.

He said they couldn’t verify if what they talked about were the details of Medz’s funeral or if they were talking about another possible attack against the policemen.

Surrender feelers were sent by two of Alvaro’s cousins to Batobalonos since Medz died in last Friday’s shootout but the Danao City police chief had yet to verify this.

Batobalonos said he advised them to surrender personally to their precinct this morning.
Batobalonos said the Alvaros recently took over Barok’s illegal drug trade with help from his wife and Medz, his younger brother.

But they are still verifying if this is being continued after Medz’s death.

Batobalonos said he has yet to discuss the repair of the damaged windows with Danao City officials and the building owner.

He said the Danao City government temporarily rented the building for the police while they have to set aside funds to build a three-story police precinct.

The police precinct was transferred at the two-story building along Rizal Street after their old site was gutted by fire last year.

Danao City Mayor Ramon “Nito” Durano III said they intend to build a new police precinct near the fire station across their civic center.

Batobalonos told Cebu Daily News that officials assured him that construction of the building may start next month.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.