Police in the region intensify security after Quiapo blast

By: Ador Vincent S. Mayol April 29,2017 - 08:19 PM

Chief Supt. Noli Taliño, director of the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7), has ordered all city and provincial directors to beef up security following the blast on Quezon Boulevard near Quiapo Church in Manila that injured at least 14 people on Friday evening.

Although the bombing was connected to a gang war, the region’s top police official wants to make sure that there won’t be any let up in security throughout the region.

“You are hereby directed to intensify target-hardening measures, intelligence monitoring, random checkpoints, and police visbility in places of convergence,” read Taliño’s order.

He also instructed the police to coordinate with the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Muslim communities, barangay officials, and volunteer groups to ensure the safety of the public.

Senior Supt. Joel Doria, director of the Cebu City Police Office, said they have already intensified their security since members of the Abu Sayyaf entered Bohol last April 9.

“Ngayon, mas paiigtingin pa natin lalo. (But now, we have to do more especially after what happened in Quiapo),” he said in a phone interview yesterday.

“At least, hindi tayo nagpapabaya kasi pwede ring mangyari iyon dito. (At least, we will not be complacent because the bombing could also happen here in Cebu City),” he added.

Doria said they also tapped the services of the Barangay Intelligence Network to help them monitor any suspicious-looking individuals or unusual activities.

“There’s definitely no let up in our security,” he said.

Senior Supt. Eric Noble, director of the Cebu Provincial Police Office, said he coordinated with the Philippine Army, Air Force, and the Coast Guard to watch over the entire province of Cebu.

“So far all security efforts of CPPO are in still in effect. I am enjoining the members of the community to continue being vigilant and help the Philippine National Police by reporting suspected terrorist to their nearest police stations,” he said.

An explosion near Quiapo Church in Manila injured at least 14 people at around 10:00 p.m. on Friday.

The blast, apparently caused by an improvised explosive device, probably had nothing to do with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Summit being held in Manila, said Director Oscar Albayalde, chief of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).
Based on their investigation, Albayalde said the explosion was due to a possible gang war.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.