Temporary terminal to be put up at SRP
SINULOG 2018 PREPARATIONS
Starting January 20, all vans-for-hire at the terminal located in the Barangay Kamagayan Terminal and the buses at the Cebu South Bus Terminal (CSBT) will be temporarily transferred to the South Road Properties (SRP).
Putting the temporary terminal at the SRP lot beside Il Corso will help decongest traffic along N. Bacalso Ave. of which some parts will be used for the grand parade on Jan. 21, according to Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak.
Tumulak said that the SRP is the only alternative road for the buses and other vehicles bound for southern Cebu since N. Bacalso Ave. is still closed for the construction of its underpass tunnel.
The Cebu City Government is also implementing stricter requirements before any concert or disco event is approved in this year’s Sinulog festival.
About three weeks shy from this year’s grand festivity, Tumulak said they turned down at least five permit applications of disco events in various barangays because they are located within the 300-meter radius of the Sinulog 2018 route.
“We denied (the permit applications of these) barangays since they are within the 300-meter radius of the Sinulog 2018 route). They also have a sound system which violates the executive order of Mayor (Tomas) Osmeña,” said Tumulak.
Section 1 (entertainment ban) of Mayor Osmeña’s executive order emphasized that putting up loud speakers and other sound devices are prohibited within a 300-meter radius of the Sinulog Parade and Procession route on January 19 (Friday), January 20 (Saturday) and January 21 (Sunday).
Tumulak said they might also turn down one concert proposal for the South Road Properties (SRP) because the traffic division of the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) said the event can cause traffic congestion in the area.
Concert organizers proposed that the event will be held on January 19.
Tumulak said the proposed location of the said concert is just beside Il Corso, the area where the city government plans to establish a temporary terminal for vans-for-hire and buses bound for south and midwest Cebu.
Meanwhile, the Cebu Provincial Government is expected to hand P3 million to the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI).
Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III announced last Friday that he approved SFI’s request for financial assistance. SFI, in a November 22 letter signed by its president Pericles Dakay, sought for the Capitol’s help.
However, before any funds will be released, Davide said it still needs the approval of the Provincial Board (PB).The PB will have a regular session on Monday (January 8).
SFI also requested for the same amount of financial assistance in last year’s Sinulog.
Davide added that the Capitol will participate in the Sinulog 2018 float contest.
“The Province has a float but I have not seen the design yet. We might discuss it in a meeting next week,” he said.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.