PhilHealth remains ‘sound and stable,’ says CEO
THE Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) denies being on the brink of bankruptcy, insisting that it remains a “sound and stable institution” with close to P7 billion in net income in the first half of 2018.
The state insurance firm received around P59.8 billion in premium collections from January to June, which is higher by P4.6 billion when compared to the same period the previous year, Roy Ferrer, acting president and chief executive officer, said on Tuesday.
As of June 2018, Ferrer said that PhilHealth had already paid close to P53 billion in claims, of which a quarter went to the medical care of senior citizens and lifetime members.
Of the total claims, he added, P13.2 billion went to the care of sponsored and indigent members.
According to Ferrer, the latest figure “ultimately dispels any notion” that the government insurance firm is financially in trouble.
“We have been through tough times and it is with capable leadership and management that we have been able to rise from the ashes of alleged bankruptcy and have become a sound and stable institution that looks after the welfare of the Filipinos, especially the poor and the marginalized,” Ferrer said.
In July, the Commission on Audit (COA) expressed concern over PhilHealth’s financial viability after the firm incurred a net loss of P4.75 billion last year.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.