Murder house in Sibonga: Three killed in two months

By: Alven Marie A. Timtim, Morexette Marie B. Erram, Paul Lauro - CDN Digital | January 16,2020 - 01:12 PM

Police examine the crime scene in Barangay Ba-e, Sibonga town, southern Cebu, where a couple were found dead on Thursday, January 16, 2020. CDN Digital photo | Paul Lauro

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Police in Sibonga town are now eyeing personal grudge behind the killing of two individuals in Barangay Bae, Sibonga town, southern Cebu on Thursday dawn, January 16, 2020 

The victims were identified as Cerefino Tolomia, 48, and his wife Anatalia Tolomia, 60. 

Police Master Sergeant Herbert Panganan, lead investigator of the case, said both victims sustained gunshot wounds on the head.

Panganan said they are looking at personal grudge as the suspects’ motive after learning that the couple’s son, Hipolito Tolomia, was also killed in the same house last December 2019. 

He also said that chances are, the suspects behind the two separate killings are the same. 

“Their son was killed in the same house last December 2019. We already identified the suspects but the couple refused to pursue the case. Now, we’re on the hunt for the same suspects,” said Panganan. 

He refused to divulge further about the gunmen in order not to preempt follow-up operations. 

“We’re looking at personal grudge as the motive since the suspects killed already three members of the family. We’re also looking into the background of this family,” Panganan added. 

Police confirmed that the couple’s grandchildren -ages 11, 12, and 19 – survived the incident after they managed to escape the house. 

The minors are now under the custody of the town’s Department Social Welfare and Development. 

“There were five of them inside the house when the suspects barged and shot the couple. The children, all minors, fled the house,” said Panganan.

Bae is a mountain barangay located approximately west of Sibonga Police Station, which is situated at the town’s Barangay Poblacion.  

Initial investigations showed the incident happened past 11 p.m. on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.

However, due to Barangay Bae’s remote location, police were only able to receive and verify the alarm around 5 a.m. the next day – or six hours laters. /bmjo


Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.


We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.