Cebu City dad promises aid for affected cemetery vendors
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Councilor David Tumulak said he will find a way to help vendors who will be affected by the restrictions set for cemeteries.
Last year, Mayor Edgardo Labella had ordered aid for the vendors because of the total closure of the cemeteries from October 29 to November 4, 2020, but since the cemeteries are open this year, the vendors do not expect aid.
However, the vendors appealed for aid because the restrictions set by the city government for them still gravely affect their trade, which is only booming once a year during this season.
“Nangayo pa ta sa actual number of vendors nga affected kay we will find a way nga mahatagan nato sila og ayuda.”
“Naapektuhan gyod gihapon sila kay gamay ra gyod ilang halin nga naa sila sa gawas,” said Tumulak.
One of the vendors in the Carreta Cemetery said that sales are lower when they are staying outside because people will end up bringing their own flowers and candles already as they expect that vendors are no longer present.
For painters, tomb cleaners, and tomb makers, their profits will once again be affected as their services cannot be availed from October 25 onwards, since cleaning and other tomb maintenance will no longer be allowed.
“Gamay na gani kaayo nagpaserbisyo run, wala gyod na ig uno ug dos kay di man mi kasulod. Paet kaayo,” said a tombstone maker in the Carreta Cemetery.
Tumulak said he will be lobbying for aid to the vendors and he hopes his fellow City Council members and Acting Mayor Michael Rama can respond to the appeals of these vendors. /rcg
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.